10 Free Date Night Ideas – Without intentional planning or forethought, date night can become a thing of the past. Don’t let this happen to you.
In the midst of a crazy-busy life, making time to spend with your spouse is one of the greatest investments you can make. Here’s a short list of free – or almost free – date night ideas (in no particular order) for you to start using today.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Full disclosure here.*
Date nights don’t have to cost a fortune
- A hike through the woods or by the lake. Like Momma always said, the fresh air will do you good. 😉
- A bike ride around town. Let’s be honest. When’s the last time you pulled out your bicycles?
- Put the kids to bed early and have a “just the two of you” dinner at home. You’ve already got groceries on hand, right? Easy peasy.
- Bake cookies together. Make your favorites or try a new recipe! I have loads of cookie ideas here and these King’s Cringles cookies are a huge family favorite, year-round.
- Cozy up for an at home movie night. Your local library will have lots of free movie titles, all free for the borrowing. Pair your movie with hot popcorn – and have fun experimenting with new popcorn flavors.
- Bonfire in the back yard. Ok, if you don’t have a back yard, you could use one of these small, moveable fire pits and get the same effect. Pull out the camping/outdoor chairs, add a couple hot mugs of cider, coffee, or hot cocoa and soak up the crackle of the flames. You never know…you might have some of your best conversations around the fire.
- Have a monthly “calendar planning” date. You’re right, this doesn’t sound nearly as fun or “date-y” (is that a word) as the other ideas. But I’ll tell you from experience: this simple idea can help reduce or eliminate the stress of those, “Ummm… I didn’t know that was on the agenda” discussions. If one simple date night can prevent these calendar clashes, we say it’s worth it.
- Have a game night. Whether you prefer card games, board games, or video games, this is a fun way to reconnect in a lighthearted atmosphere.
- Go thrifting together. Ok, so this one will cost you a *little money. But it could be fun to set a challenge: each person gets $5-$10 to spend (or whatever amount you choose) and whoever finds the best deal wins. End the night by splitting a dessert from your favorite local shop.
- Do an act of service for someone else. There are an infinite number of ideas you could choose from here, but you can’t go wrong with fresh, home-baked goods. Bake something delicious for a neighbor or anyone you want to encourage. There’s something uniting about the two of you working together with the end goal of being a blessing to someone else. Bake up a seasonal pie or a favorite cake and relish the joy of delivering it to someone special. Spend a few minutes with the person, telling them how you appreciate them, and then be on your way. You’ll feel good because you did good – and together, the two of you made someone’s night.
Mr. 1915 and I hope these 10 free date night ideas will help you and your spouse find more ways to spend time together. As a matter of fact, we ourselves are a smidge overdue for a date night. 😉 I think maybe we’ll go with number one tonight…