Whether you’re craving comfort food, or planning a girl’s weekend brunch, or want a deliciously satisfying family dinner, this cheesy sausage veggie quiche is just the ticket.
This is another of my Momma’s recipes I grew up with. The golden, flaky crust cradles a cheesy, colorful filling, brimming with savory flavors, veggies…and well, it’s enough to make my family drool.
And sweet friend, if you’re really short on time, by all means, feel free to grab yourself a pre-made pie crust from the store. I’ll never tell.
This recipe is one that’ll make converts out of people who swear they hate quiche. One bite and they’ll be asking for more.
Also: please feel free to substitute any favorite breakfast meat and veggies you like. And if you don’t like cheese (or need to avoid it for health reasons) – simply omit it from the recipe. It’ll still be scrumptious.
Let’s get to the goodness, shall we?
Cheesy Sausage Veggie Quiche Ingredients
- 9″ pre-baked pie shell (either homemade or store bought) – *just make sure it’s pre-baked before assembly.
- 1 lb. pork or turkey sausage (we like Italian sausage for this recipe), browned and drained
- 1/2 c. onion, diced
- 1/2 of a green or red pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 c. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 c. milk or heavy cream (depending on how decadent you’re feeling) 😉
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley (or 1 1/2 tsp. if using dried)
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Full disclosure here.*
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Prebake your pie shell if you haven’t already. (You can use either a standard pie plate or a fluted tart pan.)
- Brown, crumble, and drain your sausage.
- Set sausage aside to drain in a paper towel lined bowl, reserving approx. 2 Tbsp. sausage fat in the pan.
- In the reserved sausage fat, saute’ the diced onion and pepper until golden and cooked through. Set aside.
- Grate sharp cheddar into medium size shreds until you have about 1 1/2 cups.
- Toss grated cheddar with the 1 Tbsp. flour to keep it from sticking in one big clump and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine: eggs, milk or cream, and seasonings, and mix thoroughly until combined. Set aside.
Assembly and Baking
- In your prebaked pie shell, place your cooked sausage, veggies, and cheese.
- Pour the egg and seasonings mixture over the top. If you’ve got a little extra, just discard. You don’t want to overflow your pastry crust.
- Place a shallow rimmed baking sheet into your preheated oven. You’re going to put your pie pan with your quiche on it to bake. This is just an extra precaution against having to clean an oven later if the quiche does overflow while baking. (Heaven forbid.)
- Place your ready-to-bake quiche in the oven, sitting on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until brown on top and filling is set. You can use a sharp knife to check the center near the end of your baking time.
Wait for the amazing aroma to fill your house and tempt your tastebuds.
Once done, it’s best to let your quiche cool on the counter for about 10 minutes before cutting and serving. If you can wait that long. 🙂
Serve with salsa, sliced avocado, and/or fresh fruit.
I mentioned this earlier but I’ll say it again. Have fun with this recipe and experiment with different veggies!
Do you love olives and mushrooms? Slice some up and substitute those instead of the peppers and onions.
If you’d rather not eat meat? Add all the veggies your heart desires. This is a completely customizable recipe so play and have fun!
Now head on over to see what my blogging BFFs have been up to this week!
FAST FIX FRIDAY
EVERY(ISH) FRIDAY, MY GIRLS, THE PURPLE HYDRANGEA AND FARMHOUSE MADE, AND I GET TOGETHER AND BRING YOU A SUPER SIMPLE, FAST FIX TO SIMPLIFY AND BEAUTIFY YOUR HOME AND LIFE.
This week’s fix: