Velvet pumpkins are such a fun accent to the Fall season.
(And they’re so much easier to make than you might think, too! )
This simple tutorial will have you making a whole patch of velvet pumpkins in no time.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Full disclosure here.*
Velvet Pumpkin Supplies
- velvet in your choice of colors
- large plate, small plate or any circular template
- dental floss
- sewing needle
- real dried pumpkin stems (you can find some here if you don’t have any on hand this year)
- rice or dried lentils
A quick run-down of instructions:
- Lay your plate or template on top of your velvet and cut around the outer edge – no need to be super precise.
- Thread your needle with dental floss and sew along the inside of the cut circle, about a half inch in.
- Fill with rice or lentils in the bottom of the pumpkin shape and top off with stuffing/batting.
- Pull opening shut tight and tie off.
- Hot glue your dried pumpkin step to the top (or make your own pumpkin stem or use a stick)
- Repeat until your have a whole patch of pumpkins! 😀
- If you’re a visual learner, I show you step by step how to make velvet pumpkins here.
How fun would this be for a girls’ night in?? Invite your Besties over, order pizza, and whip up a ton of these in all the colors you can imagine! At the end of the night, you’ve had girl time with you BFFs, chatted about All the Many Things, and everyone will go home with an armful of velvet pumpkins to freshen up their Fall decor.
Let’s be honest, it’ll be a HUGE hit!
And don’t forget to save all your pumpkin stems this year!
How to Dry Pumpkin Stems for Velvet Pumpkins
This is super easy. Remove your stems from the pumpkins after the pumpkins have served their purpose for the season. Leave the stems spread out on an old cookie sheet over the winter and throw them in a zippy bag in the spring – be sure to stash them away someplace you’ll remember. Come next Fall, you’ll have more stems than you know what to do with!
Except that you DO know what to do with them now. 😉
Velvet pumpkins for everyone!