This Low Carb Mint Chip Smoothie is so good, I have to hide from my three year old son if I want to keep any for myself. It’s that good…whether eating low carb is on your radar or not. While I dearly love my carbs (hello, fluffy biscuits and chip-loaded chicken taco bake), my hips and thighs don’t love the carbs nearly as much as I do.
Or maybe they DO and that’s the problem. 😉 They love the carbs so much, they just suck them in and hold on for dear life.
*This post contains affiliate links in pink – if you choose to make a purchase using one of my links, I receive a small percentage at NO extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my coffee habit – the fuel behind this blog.* 😉
Enter the Low Carb Mint Chip Smoothie
Thankfully, there’s Trim Healthy Mama. Now, before you think I’m going to start blogging a bunch of THM stuff, don’t worry, I’m not. I’ll still share my usual (read: carb-laden) family favorite recipes. 😉 But today, I’m sharing one of my favorite go-to low carb smoothie recipes that I make so often, I could make it in my sleep.
I make this smoothie 3-4 days a week. It’s fast, easy and sometimes I just don’t feel like eating – but I know I should. I’m not the only one, right?
Baby spinach is what gives this smoothie it’s luscious green color.
Now, before you turn your nose up at the thought of using spinach in a smoothie, let me assure you that you CANNOT taste it. Baby spinach is mild in flavor and packed full of goodness….I made this handy little graphic for you as a quick snapshot of all the Spinach-y goodness…including some helpful tips on what to look for as you choose your nutritional superhero.
Now, back to the recipe. The ingredient list might look a little long, but once you’ve made this a few times, it’ll go fast. This is my spin off of Gwen’s original recipe, which you can find here or in the Trim Healthy Mama cookbook. Gwen has a boatload of scrumptious THM recipes and if you do happen to be looking for a great THM website, I highly recommend hers.
Low Carb Mint Chip Smoothie Ingredients
- 1 c.unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 c. cottage cheese (1% or 2% is fine) – if you are dairy-free, you could omit this ingedient
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- dash salt
- 2 Tbs heavy cream (I did say this was low carb…not low fat) 😉 – if you’re DF, you can sub coconut milk
- scant 1/2 tsp. stevia powder (this brand is my all-time favorite)
- 1/2 tsp Sunflower Lecithin *see below for my “why” on this ingredient*
- 3-5 drops of Peppermint essential oil – or less, according to your taste (this is my favorite brand here)
- 1-2 tsp. MCT oil (boosts metabolism. Need I say more?)
- giant handful of fresh baby spinach (approx. 1 1/2 cups, packed tightly – or less, if you’re hesitant and just starting out)
- 2-3 c. ice cubes (I use 2 c.)
- 1 scoop Pristine Protein Powder (or your fave – just make sure there’s no added sugar – to keep this low carb)
- 1/2 oz. 85% dark chocolate, broken into small chunks (I get mine at Aldi, but there is some here, too)
Low Carb Mint Chip Smoothie Instructions
- Place the first ten ingredients (almond milk through ice cubes) into your blender and blend until uniform in texture. (this is the one I have and love but I hear these are the best)
- Stop blender; add the Protein Powder.
- Blend for 10-12 seconds and stop.
- Break the chocolate into small-ish chunks and add to smoothie.
- Blend again, just until the chocolate is in small enough pieces to fit through a shake straw.
This right here is low carb, guilt-free deliciousness – and my favorite way to get in a ton of superfood greens.
*A quick note about “why” Sunflower Lecithin
in this Low Carb Mint Chip Smoothie:
1) I think it lends a slight “malty” flavor
2) it’s a fantastic brain food
3) it’s anti-aging (sign me UP!) 😀
4) it adds luscious creamy texture and keeps your drinks creamier longer.
In case you’re curious to learn more about Trim Healthy Mama, I own both the original Trim Healthy Mama book and the “Easy Does It Approach” book. I love all three books (including the cookbook mentioned above).
Be sure to pin for later!
So tell me…are you a “spinach in smoothie” person or no?
Save time and money...
This free eBook is full of ideas you can use today! Get your copy here -