Mornings are crazy and if I can find a way to provide something super quick and healthy for my kids, you can bet I’m going to use it. And those afternoon snack dilemmas? Consider them solved with these no bake granola bars.
*This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See my full disclosure here.*
I’ve been making these granola bars for my boys ever since they were little. They much prefer them over the store bought bars and my older two guys grab these as their soccer-game energy bars. I’m going to tell you right up front that this recipe is not original with me. I’ve only adjusted it to use ground flax instead of whole and then I added the chocolate chips. See the original recipe from sweet Shellie over here.
Filled with (mostly) whole food ingredients, I love that the oats and flax fill my kids up without being empty garbage calories. Plus, the oats and peanut butter provide a good source of protein, too! (mom win!)
I’ve thrown a huge bag of these no bake granola bars into my “soccer mom” bag for our little guys – only to have the bars be so popular with all their friends and before I know it, the bars are gone and parents are asking for the recipe. No, for real. It’s happened. 😀 So now I’m sharing it with you. Because that’s what friends are for.
Oh – also: feel free to mix it up with these. Do you love raisins or dried cranberries? Or sliced almonds? Throw them in there instead of the chocolate chips! Want to make them into free-form granola cookies and drizzle with a vanilla glaze? Go for it, girl! However you decide to make them, they’re sure to be a hit.
10 Minute No Bake Granola Bars
- 2 c. old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 c. crispy rice-type cereal
- 1/2 c. ground golden flax seed
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 3/4 c. creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 c. honey
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 – 1/2 c. dark chocolate chips or M&M’s (optional,
- but delish)
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with plastic wrap or parchment paper for easy removal later.
- Stir all your dry ingredients (oats through chia seeds) in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl add peanut butter, honey, and brown sugar.
- Microwave for 40-60 seconds, until everything is soft enough to stir together smoothly.
- Add vanilla to peanut butter mixture and stir.
- Using a spatula, pour the peanut butter mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until evenly coated.
- Add chocolate chips and stir again.
- Press mixture into parchment-lined pan and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Slice into bars and wrap individually with plastic wrap or place in snack size zippy bags.
- Store in the fridge until needed.
Once you give these no bake granola bars a try, I’d love to know what you think! They just might be a new fave in your home. And if you need some easy, inexpensive gift ideas? Wrap them in unbleached parchment, place in a beautiful brown craft box tied with twine, and voila! You’ve got a bunch of easy, homemade gifts done in a snap.
If you’re looking for more yummy breakfast ideas, check out these Fluffy Biscuits, 5 easy breakfast ideas, and yes, sometimes flaky, warm turnovers ARE the breakfast of champions. And since we’re barreling full force into the chilly months, be sure to check out my tips and ideas for a coffee and hot cocoa bar you can set up almost anywhere. Enjoy!
Fast Fix Friday
This post is part of a new series called Fast Fix Friday – where a couple of my closest blogging friends and I will share with you something simple; something fast.
Something that might just make your life easier, prettier, and in general put a smile on your face. For this week, you’ll want to head over and visit Lisa at The Purple Hydrangea next – she’s got a quick and easy fix that will have you saying “Hey, I can do that!”